About this Race
The inaugural VyStar Emerald Trail 5K presented by JTC Running and 1st Place Sports will give runners, walkers and cyclists an up-close look at multiple points of interest along the future LaVilla Link and S-Line Rail Link segments of the Emerald Trail. All proceeds from this event benefit Groundwork Jacksonville, the City’s nonprofit partner in building the Emerald Trail and restoring McCoys Creek and Hogans Creek.
The Emerald Trail is a 30-mile urban trail and linear park system that will connect 14 historic neighborhoods to downtown, the St. Johns River, McCoys Creek and Hogans Creek. It will link 16 schools, two colleges and 21 parks among other destinations like cafes, shops, festivals and events.
As Jacksonville’s signature recreational amenity, the Emerald Trail will be the place where people of all ages, races, cultures and walks of life come together to run, walk, ride, fish, kayak and connect with nature and with one another.
Learn more at www.groundworkjacksonville.org and connect with us on social @GroundworkJax.
- 5K Bike Ride for fun – 7:30 AM
- 5K Run/Walk – 8:00 AM
- Bus transportation back to start from finish for runners and walkers.
- Separate route back to start for cyclists.
- Custom designed Emerald Trail 5K shirts to all entrants
- Custom designed medals to all finishers
- Be the first to experience the first leg of the Emerald Trail!
Staying Safe - Social Distancing Guidelines
- No day of race registration.
- Day of race packet pickup will be limited. Please adhere to the 6 foot spacing guideline and wear a mask when picking up your packet. We encourage you to pick up your packet prior to race day.
- Please wear a mask when you can not adhere to the 6 foot spacing guideline. We encourage everyone to wear a mask until you have started the run/walk.
- Race will be started in waves. You must choose your starting wave during registration. Potential award winners should try to run in the early starting waves.
- Once you have finished the race please respect the six foot social distancing spacing and wear a face covering.
- The race will not have an awards ceremony, but will have a limited post-race celebration. Awards may be picked up at awards tent on race day or at 1st Place Sports, Baymeadows the day after the race.
- Bring you own water if you want to be extra safe. We will have water in bottles at the start, half-way point and finish. If you take a water bottle with you, be sure to hold on to it until you finish the race or drop at designate drop point.
- Hand sanitizers and masks will be available at the Sanitation tent near the start/finish.
- If you feel ill or have a fever, do not come to packet pickup or to the race.
- To maximize social distance we recommend that you not arrive at the race more than 30 minutes prior to your start time.
The bike ride portion of the race will start at 7:30 AM in three 50 person waves, five minutes apart. You will choose your start wave when you register. This is a fun ride and is designed to be a tour of the Emerald Trail. This event is perfect for a family fun ride. Cyclist must provide their own transportation back from the Finish. The most direct route is along Pearl Street (see map below).
The 5K run/walk will start at 8:o0 AM in waves of 100 people, two minutes apart. Please select your start time during registration. Bus transportation and an open-air Trolley will be available for transportation back to starting line for runners and walkers. Transportation is free.
Limit to 50 per wave
Wave 1 – 7:30 AM
Wave 2 – 7:35 AM
Wave 3 – 7:40 AM
Limit to 100 per wave
Wave 1 – 8:00 AM
Wave 2 – 8:02 AM
Wave 3 – 8:04 AM
Wave 4 – 8:06 AM
|5K & Bike|
|Early Bird pricing through October 15th||$30.00|
|October 16th - October 31st||$35.00|
|Starting November 1st||$40.00|
|No Day of Event Registraiton|
Sorry, there are absolutely no refunds or transfers!
You can register at any of our 1st Place Sports stores on our instore computers.
RACE INSTRUCTIONS WILL BE EMAILED TO YOU.
You will receive race instructions the week of the event. These will include your assigned race bib number and your selected pickup location where you will need to pick up your race packet. The email will also contain updated information for the event including parking instructions. Be sure that our 1st Place Sports emails are not going to your junk folder to ensure that you receive this important email.
Packet pickup will be at held at your selected 1st Place Sports location on Thursday, November 19th from 10 AM until 6 PM and on Friday, November 20th from 10 AM until 5 PM. Unclaimed packets will be available at the Courthouse on race morning starting at 6:30 AM.
5K Run Awards will be presented to the top man and woman overall, and the top three in each of the following male and female age groups: 10 & under, 11-13, 14-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70-74, 75-79, 80+.
Awards for the run will be available at the awards tent at the Courthouse after 8:45 AM.
Custom finisher medals for all participants!
The course starts at the Duval County Courthouse on Monroe Street. From the courthouse, the 5K will progress along the LaVilla Link and the S-Line Rail Link segments of the Emerald Trail ending at Andrew Robinson Elementary School. The finish will be at Andrew Robinson Elementary School on 12th Street.
Bus transportation and also uncovered golf cart transportation will be available back to the start for runners and walkers. Cyclist will be given a route back to the start and should not use the trail as it will be used for runners and walkers that start after their bike ride.