At 1st Place Sports, we welcome runners, walkers and fitness enthusiasts of all abilities to come and experience our one-on-one fit process! This fit process helps you find the perfect shoe to meet the needs of your active lifestyle. Whether you run, walk, go to the gym or just need a comfortable pair of shoes, our expert staff are here to help analyze your feet, educate you on what you need and find the best fit for you. Below is a brief description of our fit process. Come visit us at any of our six locations to experience it in person.
Step One: Getting To Know You
- Our fit process begins with you! We want to learn about you, your running/walking history, training goals, injuries and any other relevant information that may help us along the way.
- We can examine your old shoes, if you bring them with you! The more information we can gather the better.
Step Two: Foot Analysis & Measurement
- We will examine your arches and natural foot movement.
- We will take a look at your feet while walking barefoot, and then take measurements for the length and width of your feet to check arch flexibility.
- You will have the opportunity to have a video gait assessment done using our gait analysis software. We use this to study your natural running biomechanics and running/walking style in slow motion to check for the degree of pronation in each foot.
- Our expert staff will then use this footage to explain your biomechanics and what shoe category will work best for you!
Step Three: Defining the Shoe Category & Recommendations
- A category of running shoe will be recommended to make your running style as efficient as possible and help reduce the risk of common running injuries!
- Based on your analysis and measurements, we will narrow down our shoe selection from over one hundred different types of footwear, to one that is best for you.
- Each brand offers competing models in each shoe category. We will select a number of options to try that will not only provide the best support, but also fit your foot the best!
- REMEMBER color and style is not important, fit and function is!
Step Four: The Fit
- We will have you try two or three shoes from competing brands that match the type of support your feet need.
- Shoes will be selected based on all the information gathered, along with factors, such as gender, weight, training surfaces and structural deviations in the foot (Ex. bunions, etc).
- Don’t be surprised if some of these shoes feel great right off the bat! That means we are doing our job correctly!
- Now, it is really up to you! By testing out the fit and feel of each shoe, you should be able to narrow down the options. We will be on hand to assist in checking length and width.
Step Five: Verification and Decision
- Once you have decided on the shoe with the best fit, we will want to verify that the shoe is performing as expected.
- This may involve having you run/walk on the treadmill or sidewalk, and conducting a further gait analysis to make sure the shoe is structurally supporting your foot. We want you to see how the shoe feels while you run/walk, which allows you to be certain you are satisfied with your decision!
- Based on this fit process, we hope you have found a new home for your feet, and are ready to pursue your training ambitions!